Thursday, April 13, 2006

First Tour

Our first real backcountry tour, without a guide.
We started from the top of one of the chir lifts in the ski resort. From there, we walked about 1 hour with snowshoes. The weather was not great, but it wasn't bad either. Walking could be very tiring -- especially if you do not maintain your pace. Big steps instead of small steps, constant rythm rather than random. As I was walking, I could hear my rythm; and I started to think a lot of things... which was quite nice.Decending was not easy. Because of the weather (cloudy), the visivility was quite bad. Most of the decending was unfortunatelly traverse, too. The snow was not too bad, still soft. My backpack was quite heavy with all the equipment; snowshoes, poles, beacon, food, water, warm clothes, camera etc etc etc. It added 10kg so at the beginning I felt awkward but at the end it was okay.

The last part of the decending was very flat. Some of the places we had to walk. I was sweating a lot... but we were happy that we finished our first tour without any problem. We started around 9:30am and finished arond 3:30pm. Not bad.

No comments: